Once ingested, alcohol enters the stomach and proceeds to the small intestine. Approximately 20% of alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream through the stomach, and the remainder is absorbed through the small intestine. The alcohol then travels throughout the body and impacts the brain, kidneys and liver.
Alcohol is broken down by enzymes in the liver, which can process one standard drink (1.5oz of 80 proof liquor, 12oz of beer or 5oz of wine) per hour. If you decide to drink more than one standard drink per hour, the system that breaks down alcohol will become saturated. Additional alcohol, if consumed will accumulate in the body and blood until it can be metabolized, which raises your Blood Alcohol Content, or BAC. This is important especially if you decide to drink a lot of shots or play drinking games, as these activities can lead to a dangerously high BAC.
Journey of Alcohol in body organs:
Alchohol begins its journey through the body when an individual consumes a drink. It enters the body throught the mouth, where it travels down the throat and espphagus into the stomach
As alchohol enters the stomach, some of it is absorbed into the blood stream before the remainder passes on to the small intestine. About 20 % of the alcohol is absorbed in the stomach, while the other 80 % is absorbed in the small intestine.
The majority of alchohol enters the bloodstream through the walls of the small intestine, which is the most efficient region of the gastrointestinal tract for alcohol absorbtion due to is very large surface area (20+ feet in the average adult man) and rich blood vessel composition. From here, alcohol passes through the portal vein through the liver into the hepatic vein into the heart.
After absorption from the gastrointestinal tract alcohol enters the bloodstream and dissolves in the water of the blood, where it is pumped throughout the body by the heart. From her, alcohol from the blood enters and dissolves in the wate inside each bodily tissue (except fat tissue).
As alcohol is distributed very thoroughly and quickly in the bloodstream, even small concentrations can affect the central nervous system and brain. The ethanol in alcohol acts as a drug and its behavioral effects are as result of how it affects responses in the nervous tissue, rather than how it impacts the muscles or senses.
+Because it is a depressant, alcohol also suppresses certain brain functions.
Alcohol is metabolised in the liver, which eliminates 95% of ingested alcohol from the body. The liver can metabolize only a certain amount of alcohol per hour – regardless of how much was consumed – and this rate can vary by individual.
Through oxidation by the liver, alcohol is detoxified and removed from the blood, preventing it from accumulating in the tissues and destroying cells and organs.
Kidney & Lungs
A minute amount of alcohol escapes metabolism in the liver and is excreted unchanged through urine (kidneys), breath (lungs) or sweat (skin)
Because alcohol is water soluble and has a high affinity for water, it is submitted via the blood into the water compartment of the skin. About 1% of ingested alcohol escapes the body through the insensible perspiration – or unnoticeable ethanol vapor – that is given off through the skin.Like urine and breath the alcohol present in this sweat was not metabolized in the liver, so it leaves the body unchanged. This method of testing for alcohol transdermally (meaning “through the skin”) is accomplished on an a continuous basis by the SCRAM continuous Alcohol monitor.
Measures to overcome Hangover:
- Replenish a large amount of water and energy consumed in the decomposition
of the alcohol by rehydrating body with water intake
- Intake a component to increase the liver metabolic functions in the body.
- Frequent urinating and sweating will excrete alcohol outside the body.